Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Publisher

I have sent my book Lost Adolescence -- The First Part  off to a publisher for a professional editing.

Finally.  Yes, finally.

And why did it take say,  about fifteen years,  my buddy Roger from New Jersey asks?

Good Question.  Well, it's like this  (how about a three point sermon?);

One.   There were Psychological Factors:  my utter lack of self-confidence was showing but even deeper, fear issues;  fear of making a mistake,  fear of offending others,  fear of rejection.  What could I do if I were not afraid?, I wondered.  I finally had to decide simply that writing was the best thing I could do...and I do it good (or should that be well?).

Two.  There were Discouraging words:  I went to a writers' conference a few years ago where a major publisher basically said "don't bother writing, people don't read anymore."  Well, if he meant the heavy hardbound volumes he printed,  I guess so.  Then there was my former pastor who replied to a short article that I had written with "I've read better."  I hope he has...no aspiring writer expects to become Shakespeare. But such comments discourage;  it took me a long time to dismiss them.  

Three. Hmmm...maybe it just wasn't ready yet. Lost Adolescence was originally a collection of short stories; then a novel (even with a great fight sequence!) but now a two part memoir that I simply hope will be helpful to others who may find themselves or loved ones in similar situations as I, though the settings may be different.

I've had many encouraging words more recently, which have helped immeasurably to get this project off the back burner for which I am most grateful.

I will be including samples from the book in this blog. Thanks

Deano



No comments: